Add to Technorati Favorites My Zimbio

My Favorite Aunt

Alice Gallagher, my mom's best friend since her twenty's, is my favorite aunt and, now that I am an adult, a friend I am proud to say. Alice is a friend people are lucky to have. She laughs easily and is generous to a fault. Time, money, wisdom, love - she gives all freely. Beautiful and graceful, Alice stands shockingly close to six feet tall but holds to five feet and a healthy eleven inches if asked. Impeccable taste in clothing, jewelry and home decor add to the Alice allure. Shopping on Christmas Eve with Kristen, my best friend and through me a friend of Alice's, we giggled our heads off as Kristen splurged on a gorgeous faux topaz cocktail ring. It was beautiful and excessive and as we both said, "Exactly what Alice would wear" - the ultimate in compliments. So out came the credit card. Things are prettier and bigger when seen with Alice. She has a quality, some might call it an aire, about her that seeks to add to the beauty of life. Whether it be proper etiquette or the perfect color pillow or her signature unique cocktail napkins for every occasion - Alice does it right. It was Alice who took my sister and I to our first rock concert - opening night of Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA Tour" in his home state of New Jersey. Hello? All concerts have paled in comparison since. Alice listens intently when you speak - a rare gift in this world. Her advice is given the only way she knows how to share her wisdom - directly from the heart with only your best interests in mind. The almost fifty year friendship she has shared with my mom is the kind people make movies about. Enduring and real for every minute. Filled with hopes, dreams, laughter, anger, pain, reconciliation and love. Their friendship is why the word "friend" was invented. If it sounds like something to be jealous of, it is. My own friendship with Alice evolved as she watched me grow from a baby of her best buddy to the woman I am today. A fixture at O'Leary family events and dramas Alice has filled her role as friend, aunt and second mother to a tee. Over the years I have sought her advice, enjoyed her company and thanked God for her existence countless times. I love Alice.

Unfortunately, as of last night she is no longer with us on this earth.

Alice you made my life better, you made the world better and I will miss you and think of you often.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP