Add to Technorati Favorites My Zimbio

'Jenny' Phone Number Up for Sale


I may be 40 and struggling with remembering little things like phone numbers. But who, that was alive in the 1980's, does not recall this most famous set of digits - "867-5309"?

I, as most of you, have it ingrained in my memory thanks to the toe-tapping hit by Tommy Tutone, "867-5309/Jenny". I have not, as many apparently do and on a daily basis for that matter, dialed these numbers. Well, maybe as a teenager at a sleepover I gave it a shot but at least that was back in the day when these digits were all over the radio and I could claim "stupid kid" as a title. Unbelievably, the owner of the number in the '201' area code is selling his very own "867-5309" exchange as part of a sale of his DJ company (wink, wink). As of 8:10pm east coast time today the bid was at $369,100. OMG! The owner claims to get 40 + calls a day, yielding, by a claim in his ad, "8,000 - 10,000 calls per year".

Who are these people? By "people" I am talking about both the callers of the number and the bidders to buy the number. What motivates them? Who do they expect to reach when someone picks up? How old would the famed Jenny be now anyway? What kind of marketing demographic do the callers represent that is worth $369,100 to the bidders? Or are the bidders motivated by pure '80's nostalgia? Are we not in a recession with a possible depression looming? We're going on 27 years since it hit number 1 on the charts. I am obviously missing something. The '80's are over, right? What would you pay? If it is more than $369,100 the seller takes PayPal and bidding ends noon PST on Feb. 9th. Go for it.



0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP